Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Graves announces he won't seek re-election to Allegany County Legislature

To the voters of District IV, Wellsville and Andover:

It has been an honor and a privilege to represent you as a Legislator in Allegany County government. To say that I have enjoyed serving on the Board of Legislators would be an understatement. I could not have had the opportunity to do so were it not for you. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

My agenda while in Belmont was to focus on things that I felt were holding us back. The cost of government, duplicating services provided by others and the 8.5% sales tax are chief among those concerns.  As I have repeatedly advised my peers – there is only one way to reduce taxes – and that is to reduce spending. For the most part every department head that I spoke with about this agreed with me and worked within their agencies to be as cost effective as possible. I’m confident they will continue to do so.

This being my eleventh year in office and, as I have done with my tenure as Andover Town Supervisor and as the Andover Village Mayor, I have decided to enforce my own “term limit” and will now step aside to give someone else a chance to serve you.  Please know that I will not be a candidate for re-election to the Allegany County Legislature in the November general election.

Please also know that I do not intend to “just fade away”.  My intention is to stay engaged and active in my community and to speak out when and if I deem it is appropriate to do so.

I wish my successor and all those who serve us all the best that life can bring.  Their success means we all succeed.

Thank you and may God Bless Allegany County.

Karl E. Graves

District IV Legislator

Wellsville/Andover