Pages

Monday, June 18, 2018

Allegany County Legislator Karl Graves on County Administrator: "Apparently I upset him"

This is a letter submitted by Allegany County Legislator Karl Graves-
Leg. Karl Graves
There is an old saying and it goes something like this: “Sometimes you just can’t win for losing!”  It means that losing keeps you from winning; you can’t win because things just seem to keep going wrong. Normal usage is that people say this when something unexpected or a bit of bad luck spoils their plans and that is what is on my mind this week.
As most of my readers know I’m no stranger to local government.  Since my early 20’s I was either working for a municipality or serving on one of their boards.  As Supervisor and Mayor of Andover, for some 20 years, I was very proud that during most of that time we were able to reduce property taxes and increase services.  We reduced the size of government as much as possible and reduced the town and villages insurance liability profile to boot.
We survived audits by the State Comptroller by using them as learning experiences.  We made recommended changes, instituted new policies and developed programs that complimented the core mission of our government.  I learned firsthand that keeping track of where our money went was the secret to success.
Since my first days on the Board of Legislators I have been concerned about the lack of involvement we have in the audit process.  It takes less than 15 or 20 minutes for our board to spend millions and millions of dollars.  The cursory audit report we get is accepted, for the most part, without question.  The lump sum figures listed give no insight as to why, where or when these monies were spent.  It’s just assumed that everything is good to go and no one should be concerned.
That’s where it concerns me. Recently I was allowed to view, for only a brief time, an Audit report very similar in scope to what I was familiar with as a Town Supervisor and Mayor.  I’ve literally spent months now trying to get my hands on a copy of it or a similar missive.
Here is what I was told:  A) Yes, you can see the Audit Report – The full Board of Legislature expressed their support.  B) Well, there may be some issues, HIPPA (Which is an acronym that stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, a US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients medical records and other health information.) that we might have to address.  C) Viewing the current Audit Report is not convenient as there is a short window allowed from when it is submitted to when it has to be returned.
I didn’t document it but I’m fairly certain that I discussed the fact that I have been trained on HIPPA requirements and other confidentiality rules.  That I have no interest in who gets a benefit check from the county (I know a lot of those just by happenstance, yet have never revealed this information to anyone.) or anything of that nature.  I’m willing to be trained, sign a waiver, dance on one foot while patting my head, or anything else that will get me to where I can see this report unrestricted!
On May 8, 2018, I sent an email to our County Administrator advising him that I do not want to cause anyone, least of all him, difficulties with the operation of his office.  I suggested that a completed Audit Report was acceptable to me.  No response was received. 
Feeling that I had no other recourse, I filed a Freedom of Information (FOIL) request with our Clerk of the Board, which basically forced the County Administrator to respond to my request to view a completed Audit Report. Apparently I upset him. This Saturday, by delivery of the U. S. Postal Service I received a reply.  My request to view a report has been granted but under the following terms and conditions:
“You will receive, within (20) days, a redacted copy of the May 29th Audit.”  “This report must be redacted on several levels and will require time to thoroughly and accurately prepare the document.  In addition to the Treasurer’s Office, it must be reviewed and redacted by: Department Of Social Services, Department of Health, Human Resources, and Workers Compensation to redact any client sensitive or HIPPA related information.  This is a timely and costly process.”
I was denied future access as under the FOIL statute future records are not subject because they do not exist at the time of my instant request.  They need to be requested after the document has been created.
As a follow up, the letter also stated that “Legislation governing responses for such requests permit the governing body to charge a fee for their production.  You will not be charged for the production of this report.  However, we will be documenting the number of personnel hours and associated costs with the redaction process as well as the copying costs.  Those fees will be applied to any subsequent requests for release of the Audit Report.”
Apparently, to do my job correctly, I have to risk veiled threats – just so I can see where our money goes.  Something is radically wrong here and I intend to find out what it is.  Stay tuned!  It isn’t over yet.
Respectfully,
Karl Graves, Legislator
District 4