Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Wellsville deals with "city-like" traffic for a few hours each year

First off, this is a fun intended post. If you are super-sensitive, scroll on...save both you and me the agony.
For a few hours each year, the village of Wellsville gets to experience near "city-like" traffic. What do I mean? Many more vehicles. Many more pedestrians. And yes, you have to wait more than 12 seconds at a traffic light. Then again, will a delay of 1-3 minutes truly destroy your life?
I had some errands to run this morning to include a haircut, grocery shopping, a stop at the ATM and the typical look and stare at the traffic. There was also the search for my cell phone which disappeared between the hair chop and grabbing yogurt. I'll find it, somewhere...
After grabbing cash from the ATM on Route 417 in Wellsville, I hit every red light and pedestrian crossing (with pedestrians crossing) between Community Bank on 417 and the business district on Main Street.
My travels took me to Park Avenue facing the six way stop at the Genesee Parkway, Madison and Park Avenue. As I sat on Park Avenue praying to turn left, nothin' but cars. And did anyone leave the entrances to the bank ATM's, Giant Food Mart open. Nope. The result? A line of traffic backed up, visitors confused and some angry exchanges between motorists that would lead me to believe I lived in a major metro area. It took me 4 traffic signal changes to move 15 feet. Was I upset? No! Why? I had no where to be! Compared with Route 9 in the Hudson Valley, this was a simple, easy task.
For the local motorists who were inconvenienced for less than two minutes today, consider this...All those "out-of-towners"- were spending cash. They paid our sales tax. They supported local businesses and the county tax revenue may spike, a bit.
To all the out-of-towners in Wellsville today- Thanks.  Spend your cash like there is no tomorrow! (look for my phone, too).
This county has stuff going on....the Balloon Rally and Main Street Festival and the incredible wrap up to the Allegany County Fair.
More traffic than normal? Oh please, deal with it...it's cash.