Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

Andover: Village Justice vs. Town Justice

Justice Jim Ames
As the political season heats up...there's an interesting primary race developing in Andover. For the past 17 years, Jim (James) Ames has been the Town Justice for the Andover Town court. Ames lives is Scio, but he told us the "reason that I have been in Andover so long is that the home rule was suspended to allow me to stay and run for election...a measure that was passed by the state legislature." Ames said nobody wanted the job 17 years ago...the town needed a judge...and he stood up. A decade and a half later...he remains. But this year is different. Andover Village Justice Steve Heckman wants to expand his jurisdiction to the town. He walked the beat, grabbed signatures, and now there will be a Republican primary for the job on September 12th. Heckman deserves the chance. He's worked hard, is decent...he gets the chance.
Ames has served as a 'regional' Justice of sorts. He is the elected Town Justice in Scio, but has also been appointed to handle cases in the Towns of  Alma, Willing and the Villages of Wellsville and Andover. He has also been a mentor Judge in Willing and Alma.
Ames is the fire chief in Scio and is employed by Eastern Metal (14 years) and prior to that Certified Traffic in Andover for 15 years. He made the following statements to us - "I feel I bring a wealth of experience to the Andover court experience in many different types of cases. I feel I am always fair and impartial and follow the laws set forth by the legislature of the state of NY. And making the court open to all people as their right to access the court." He added, "
I grew up in Scio but I feel I have two home towns Scio and Andover over my years of working in Andover I have grown to know a lot of the people there. When I first started in Andover the people made me feel right at home
and were very polite and that has continued today. I would ask that on election day you keep me as your Town Justice."
Editorial Note: This site endorses Jim Ames as Judge. He stepped up when no one would.