Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2024

Obituary: Martha Joyce “Joy” Wojceichowski, 78, Cuba area

 

Martha Joyce “Joy” Wojceichowski

My lady died in my arms at home August 25, 2024. Joy was 78 years old and was the daughter of the late Martha and Orville (Ted) Good. Joy has one older sister, Linda, as well as a younger sister, Julie, and brother Ted. Joy and I were married on February 13, 1965. It still does not seem long enough. I was the lucky one when she said ‘yes’ 60 years ago. You can be sure I got the better end of the deal. We were blessed with three children-Andrew, Adam, and Joy. She loved her babies up to the day she died and meant everything to her. She was proud of who they were and their accomplishments. When they were happy, she was happy. When they were down, she was down as well. We were also blessed with four grandchildren-Ande, Sophie, Joseph, and Hannah. As much as she loved her children, she loved her grandbabies the same. We were additionally blessed with great grandchildren. Ezra Moon came along last April and Asher James followed in September. Joy said ‘we are so lucky,’ and I answered in the affirmative.

Joy’s chosen work profession was the nursing field. My mom was an RN, and Joy and her were very close. She started out as a floor nurse on nights for several years and then into the ICU. She loved it and was good at it. Finally, she went to work with Dr. Henry Storch and became a Nurse Practitioner for years. She loved her patients, and they loved her.

The last 17 years of Joy’s life was not easy. She fought cancer for 12 years and did finally beat that disease. She went through chemo, radiation, and multiple surgeries. It was a difficult battle, but she won. Always a fighter. Then one day she began to forget, and that progressed to the point that at times she did not even know me. Four days ago, Joy said to me ‘I know who you are. You’re Hank. I miss your face. Please kiss me.’ And I did.

I am sitting now in our house looking at the pictures on our walls. Many of those were painted by Joy. Later today I will pull up copies of her poetry. Those poems were special and will last a lifetime.

I knew Joy when I was 9 years old and am 79 today. She wanted me to continue to be with our children and grandchildren and great grandsons to support and guide them whether they want it or not. I will do as I was told. However, I do look forward to the day I can be with my lady again.

I miss her so.

No visitation or funeral services a private celebration of life will be held late summer.

Arrangements are under direction of the Mark F. Rinker Funeral Home & Memorial Service, Inc., Cuba.