Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Even on Thanksgiving Day - no rest for volunteers

I drove around the town of Wellsville this morning. I see that the former Air Preheater (now ARVOS Ljungstrom) has help wanted signs posted...2nd shift manufacturing. The Christmas tree's in front of the Howe Library look spot on, no surprise. The iconic Texas Hot was closed (as it should be, well done guys). I was also struck by the LACK of forgetful shoppers at the local grocery stores.
Throughout this process, alerts kept sounding for firefighters to respond to this or that...EMS was even busier because...medical emergencies don't respect the calendar. Calls were dispatched...one after another, and another, and another. With limited exceptions, fire and ambulance crews don't get a penny. Pagers "trip" on every holiday. Volunteers leave their families to help other families. Pretty remarkable when you think about it.
I was told I was being disrespectful when I used the term cops. This morning, the NYC Police Commissioner referred to 'cops.' So...I'm thankful on this day that cops are on patrol, 911 dispatchers are taking calls; Docs, nurses and allied staff are separated from family to provide care to the ill...and to the military - near and far, praying for peace but prepared for war. To all of you...Thank You.