Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Local newspapers still matter - here's why

Local print newspapers still matter. Here's why...I'm a blogger. I'm not fond of the term, but it is what I am and this site is a blog (even though 'blogs' are gaining respect). I choose what I publish. I decide when I will post stories and when I won't. Now, granted, I have a scarce social life so blogging 7 days a week is not a problem. Employee's of newspapers answer to a higher authority and as such, work when they are told to work. Snapping photo's of holiday events instead of enjoying them with family or friends;working on a Saturday/weekend...not uncommon requirements for most media. Some Elmira/Corning radio stations spent the weekend doing 'live remote broadcasts.'
I made the decision that I wanted to shop locally on this Small Business Saturday. I hit a number of downtown Wellsville retailers, and yeah, I spent some cash. One stop was at Fisher's Pharmacy/The Other Side on Main Street in Wellsville. While shopping, I heard a conversation that sounded more like an interview. Indeed, it was. Chris Potter is the Regional Editor for Gatehouse Media which includes the Wellsville Daily Reporter. I turned the corner...moving toward the voices...and I discovered Chris Potter (camera in hand) doing an interview. Chris was doing his job - I was spending money. I have to believe that Chris and his regional colleagues were all doing the same thing...conducting interviews so you could read their stories in a Sunday paper. He worked. I shopped. That's the difference between a blogger and a newspaper journalist.
I've been rough with commentary recently on local media. Perhaps too rough. To be  fair, I work my ass off ...some times I 'scoop them' and sometimes they humble me. Me, a blogger, versus paid and full-time reporters, I take any victory I can. Today, however, struck a chord. I was living life and someone like Potter was on the job reporting on it. Local newspapers matter because the reporters, no matter the skill level, are on the job...holidays, weekends and anytime most other people are not working. They do it because it is their calling...they choose to do it, they want to...and in large part, they do it well. While this blogger was happily shopping, my 'allied colleagues' were on the clock. Local newspapers matter...and a subscription could make a great gift. You don't have to agree with the reporting, but hey, you'd be lost without it...unless you decide to attend every county, town, village, school, zoning, planning, special meeting, press conference, ribbon-cutting...Thanks Chris, Kathryn, Neal, Jason, Rick and on and on and on...