Pages

Monday, October 28, 2019

Opinion: Why obituaries matter

I've been told over the years by veteran reporters that obituaries are often handed off to 'new hires.' For rugged journalists, obituaries don't make careers. They are often just fill in the blank reports. Birth date, death date, family, career highlights. I guess I'm not a rugged journalist. Out of all the stories I post, obituaries, for me, top the list.
An obituary is the final statement of a person. In that light, I often encourage people to write their own obituaries while they are alive (obviously, there will be a few blanks)! To me, it is the chance for a person to set the record, declare victories and let the world know they mattered, as only they know.
Within the past year, I have had two funeral home operators reach out to me with an expression of thanks for my no-cost service. They told me how much it mattered to families to be able to share a life story.
Twenty-two years ago today, my family buried my father. His obituary was like many, quickly pulled together while everyone attempted to remember the 'highlights' in a time of grief.
Today, and all the days moving forward, I will always consider an obituary my best reporting.