Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Wellsville: Cavanaugh named fire chief - Daily Reporter

By Chris Potter, Regional Editor, Wellsville Daily Reporter
WELLSVILLE — The Wellsville Fire Department is undergoing some change at the top of the ladder.
Monday night, the Wellsville Board of Trustees accepted the nomination of Bill Cavanaugh as the department’s new Fire Chief. In a related move, Kevin Fleischman was approved for another term as Second Assistant Fire Chief.
However, the village board rejected the nomination of Michael “Barney” Dillie to serve as First Assistant Fire Chief.
“It’s our understanding of the law, what will now take place is that the convention, the nominating arm of the Fire Department, will bring forth another candidate, at which point the board will go back through the process again for that candidate,” said Wellsville mayor Randy Shayler. “Barney remains in place as the holdover First Assistant Chief. He remains in position until such time as there is a nominee that is accepted by the board.”
The board met in executive session for close to an hour debating the appointments. Shayler said it would be up to the Fire Department to nominate a new candidate for the position of First Assistant Chief.
Cavanaugh, meanwhile, returns to the office of Fire Chief, a position he held in the early 2000s.
“I’ve stayed active over the years. The way I saw it, the department needed some help,” Cavanaugh said. “I thought for a year, I could help them out.”
Cavanaugh, a 30-plus year veteran of the fire service, has served with the Dyke Street Engine Company. He said he’s not ready to commit to whether or not he’ll seek the chief’s position again in the future, but is fully invested in making his tenure a successful one for at least the next year.
Cavanaugh said an immediate goal would be fostering a team atmosphere at the department.
I’d like to see the department brought back together, that’s the biggest thing,” Cavanaugh said. “I’d like to see more unity and camaraderie.”
The new chief also said he plans to boost cooperation with neighboring firefighters.
“I’d like to get our surrounding companies back in our favor. We need them just as much as they need us sometimes,” Cavanaugh said. “I don’t intend on taking over anybody’s fire. If it’s their fire, we’re there to help them, not to take it over for them.”
Cavanaugh said it would take time and input from fellow firefighters to chart the best course moving forward.
“I’ve been active, but I haven’t been in the inner loop,” he said. “I know the basics of what’s been going on, but I’m not sure what was behind some of the changes that were made. I want to find out before I make any radical reversals.”
Cavanaugh’s name was put forward after the department held a lengthy debate Thursday night to determine who it would nominate to the village board.
“A lot of people from different companies had asked me if I was willing, and I said yes,” Cavanaugh explained. “I have the time because I’m retired now. I think I have the experience to pull it off. That’s my main goal, to just get the department gelling again.”
A roundup of the village board’s regular business will appear in print Wednesday.