Pages

Monday, September 18, 2017

The Pennsylvania mystery - NY looks good! Be open to the media!

I receive press information from a ton of counties from a ton of states, it's my job. So here is something to contemplate. Perhaps today tipped me over the edge...could have been yesterday, not sure.
Whether you love NY or hate it, there is one thing for sure...local and state government spills the beans. I mean, I get graphic press releases from government. Love it. Hate it. Doesn't matter - you get it...and you comment on it.
Then there is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (the next portion is not an attack against anyone/thing, merely an observation). Potter County, for example, in my opinion, does not have a daily, aggressive media source. This is a break for public sectors in that county, in my opinion ONLY. Let me explain...
Every other week, I receive info from the Potter County Commissioners. The emails contain the previously approved county meeting minutes (fine). But here's the thing, the day AFTER the Commissioner's meet, I receive the meeting agenda (which other media sites post). I wonder - shouldn't the meeting agenda be presented BEFORE the meeting...JUST IN CASE you had a thought about what was going to be voted on? Maybe it's just me...
Then we have the Pennsylvania State Police. I receive press releases from the barracks in Emporium, Kane, Coudersport and Mansfield. (Thank you). Here's the thing...many of those releases, which are sent via fax, not email, are worthless.
Often, not always, but often, I receive a 'press release' that refers to a ...for example...34/m/w "known subject" was charged with...XXXX. They send a press release detailing a crime, but refuse to say who was arrested, why, or where there are from. All via fax. Don't believe me? From today:

I mean, seriously, what does this fax tell you or me...other than an anonymous guy got arrested for something bad. For real? Yet, local PA media print or post it. Nobody stands up and says, what the Hell? A trusted Potter County source begged my not to post this. Why not? What is there to lose except ... blank info?
I like Potter County. I think it has plenty to offer. So, why be secret? And for New Yorkers...you may not like what you read...but you get to read it and decide. For those that send INFORMATION, thanks...for those that send ... other crap, why bother?