Pages

Monday, June 1, 2020

Andover Police Chief: "praying for peace and healing"

James Rumfelt
I would like to take this opportunity to share my thoughts and sadness regarding the tragic and senseless death of Mr. George Floyd who died while being arrested by officers of the Minneapolis Police Department.  I watched the video and was utterly disturbed and appalled at the actions of the police officers involved.  The officers actions were in no way consistent with any appropriate arrest or control tactics and show lack of any human decency. Conduct displayed by the Minneapolis officers show a total disregard for human life and the officers should be held responsible and prosecuted for their action.
 
The reverence of life must be our priority and all persons need to be treated with dignity, compassion and respect.  The Andover Police Department will not tolerate anything less and anything less should not be tolerated throughout the law enforcement profession.
 I respect the right to protest peaceful and encourage it as a way to express your concerns. I understand the hurt and the anger that is being felt not only by Minneapolis but by the Nation. I join my fellow Law Enforcement Colleagues, my Community and the Nation by praying for peace and healing. 
James M. Rumfelt
Andover Police Department