Pages

Friday, August 25, 2017

Opinion: Do Not Call Registry is as bad as the scammers

My personal telephone number(s) have been efficient for several years. That is, until the past few weeks. My personal cell has been crammed with unwanted telemarketing calls at all hours. I signed up for the Do Not Call Registry in 2008.
At 5:12 p.m. Friday, I received a call from 585-270-6861. It was another in a series of credit card offers to lower my interest rate to a non-existent credit card. I had the option to press a certain number to remove my name - which I have done countless times - only to have to solicitations continue.
Being a 'believer in the system,' I called the Do Not Call Registry (again). I could have done this online, but I suspect the result would have been the same. I listened as the auto voice walked me through my options. I entered my phone number. I entered the date of the call. I entered the time of the call. Then, I attempted to enter the number that called me, but made an error. I was immediately disconnected. Several attempts later, same result. If I was made of money, I would have smashed my phone into 1,000 pieces.
To every federal legislator that represents me, kindly fix the damn system. Guaranteed, if Chuck Schumer received these unwanted calls, there would be action. Then again, Mr. Schumer and his staff has never, not ever, returned one of my emails or calls. Tom Reed and Kirsten Gillibrand have.
The Do Not Call Registry is a great idea. Like most things, it is only great when it works. This Registry does not.
So I'll return to the mode where I never answer the phone and only respond to legit voicemails. How freaking sad is that.
Look, I realize I'm making 'a thing' about something that many perceive as minor - given all that is happening in the world. It's just, on this day, at this moment, right now, I'm pissed that a system implemented to assist me has failed again. Technology, in general, has offered most of us new opportunities and options. However, in this instant moment, I relish 1981...my yellow pad and my taped answering machine.