Pages

Monday, October 9, 2017

News flashback - I am officially ancient

So, I just put a lock on the radio news I produced for Myrtle Beach, Fayetteville, Fort Bragg, etc. I like to keep a neat desktop, so I began poking around some old files and discovered tons of stories I sent to the Associated Press when I was a ' news stringer' for them. Back in the day, you got $7/story, but fools like me did it for the "fame and glory." In the 80's, there literally was a loud (very loud) teletype near the 'news room.' Similar to an obnoxious typewriter (age sensitive). I remember these stories well...In those days, you actually called the AP, read the story, which they typed and then sent out. (today as in yesterday, the stories were not always error free, but I still got my $7 and name attached). My God, I AM ancient.