Pages

Monday, October 23, 2017

Election Letter: Karl Graves - Allegany County Legislature, District 4

Note: This site offers one letter (with photo) for any candidate seeking election to public office. The service is provided at no charge. With minor exceptions, the letter submitted is unedited.
I have always considered it an honor to serve the public in an elected capacity. The trust and confidence you have placed in me is appreciated beyond words.  I hope you know I have tried to earn that trust and confidence and will continue to do so every instant I hold your faith in me. 
When presented with measures I thought had merit, not only for my district but for the whole of Allegany County, I have supported them.  I have also voiced my opposition to measures that I felt were not in the best interest of you the Taxpayer. This includes my opposition to our duplicating services offered essentially free to us by the State of New York and the waste and mismanagement I have witnessed. In a “get along, don’t make any waves, keep your mouth shut or lose your committee assignment atmosphere” speaking up is not an easy chore.
I find it is absolutely necessary when discussion, facts, truth and reason are met by deaf ears. In my opinion the bottom line is a person serving in County Government needs to know what his or her job is.  It is not to promote your business or other self interests nor is it to secure some petty committee assignment.  Job number one is to protect the Taxpayer. If that includes questioning authority – then so be it! My personal “constitution” will have it no other way.
With your support - my intention is to continue to stand up and speak out for what is right.  The fight is not over! The fact is that our Sales Tax rate is too high.  Property taxes are still too high.  People are fed up and are leaving New York at an alarming rate. Bragging that our finances have never been better while businesses close, jobs leave and people struggle to pay their taxes is shameful. Although we get bits and pieces of good news now and then more needs to be done to turn things around. Allegany County and its Board of Legislators must do its part!
To continue this fight I need your support on Election Day, Tuesday, November 7th, 2017.  Together we can and will make a difference!
Respectfully submitted,
Karl Graves, District 4 Legislator