Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Reverend Laurie DeMott: "I am very heartbroken, even angry"

There has been so much commentary written about the protests in our nation over the killing of George Floyd that I hesitated to add my voice, but I could not remain silent because I, like so many, am heartbroken.  I am heartbroken by the inexcusable disregard of George
Floyd’s distress as he struggled to breathe and at his death by the police who are sworn to protect our nation’s people, including George Floyd.  I am heartbroken at the suspicion and bigotry against people of color that has been so woven into the fabric of our justice system that their every encounter with it is filtered first through the color of their skin.  I am heartbroken that a Black man cannot go birdwatching in Central Park without being falsely accused of violence, or go jogging through a white neighborhood without being shot to death.  I am heartbroken that my son, who is Black and who grew up alongside his White classmates at Alfred-Almond, cannot feel as safe as they might feel at a simple stop for a traffic violation. I am heartbroken at the national leaders who feel that voices of anger and protest must be met with a fist, a policy that endangers not only the protesters but also the lives of the police who are being used to wield that authoritarian will. And as a Christian minister, I am very heartbroken, even angry, to see the President of our country using the Bible and the church as props to support a response to the protests that is anything but Christian.
It was reported that the President chose to stand in front of a church with a Bible in order to appeal to his evangelical base.  I hope, however, that his evangelical base is more familiar with the Biblical mandate than President Trump is since the phrase “Law and order” never appears in the Bible but the words “justice,” “compassion,” and the promise that God “will incline God's ear to do justice for the…oppressed, so that those from earth may strike terror no more” do.  The anger of the protestors is biblically sanctioned, and any person who considers themselves a person of faith (or even who simply considers themselves a humane person with a heart for others) should be angry at the injustices people of color endure every day in our country.  While I, with so many, condemn the violence of the few, I cannot and will not condemn the anger of the many; as uncomfortable and as frightening as anger can be, I will accept my discomfort and my uneasiness in its presence and allow the anger of my fellow citizens to warn me that it is not enough to be heartbroken.  I will instead constantly remind myself that I follow a man who overturned the tables of moneychangers in righteous anger on behalf of the poor, and that anger can be a holy mark of faith.
Reverend Laurie DeMott
Union University Church
Alfred, NY