Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Dibble seeks re-election to Andover Village Board


This statement was supplied to WRN
My name is Merle "Mike" Dibble and I am seeking re-election for Andover village trustee.
I will be finishing my elected one year term at the end of the month. I was born and raised in Andover and chose to put down roots and start my family here. I bought a house in the village in 1980, where I still reside with my wife Deb. I have two daughters that are my pride and joy, along with my grandchildren. I also still own my childhood home in the village. Up until the last five years, my job required a lot of travel.  When my position changed and I was able to be home on a more permanent basis, I started taking notice of the state of the village. After much research and finding discrepancies in village policies, I decided these issues needed to be addressed. So, in 2015 I decided to head a committee of concerned citizens, who also wanted to make positive changes within the village. When we began attending board meetings and asking questions, we were met with resistance. I made several requests for information from the village, that were public record, and only received part of the request. This was when I decided to run for a trustee’s position.  Since being elected to office, another new board member and I, have continually asked questions and have been met with much animosity. After reviewing records, we discovered that the village was spending money that we didn't have.
During my first few months, we filled the vacant superintendent position. After a. unanimous decision, we hired John Martin who is a certified engineer, and is licensed for waste water treatment. He has served our country for numerous years in combat. Since being appointed to the position, John has been praised by many village residents for his hard work and knowledge, and he has also saved the village thousands of dollars. In addition to all of this, John has also renewed a long-time employee’s enthusiasm, confidence, and pride for his work.
As a trustee I want to make sure that taxpayer’s money is being spent efficiently. So, sometimes my opinions aren't popular because I want to hold people accountable for doing their jobs.
I believe we are heading in the right direction for the community and have made many positive changes in a short time. I encourage many residents to attend meetings, so we can get your input and make the village what it used to be.
I hope every village resident uses their right to vote on Tuesday March 20th, so we can help you make your voices be heard. I am also endorsing Robert Joyce, he would be a tremendous asset to the village board.