Pages

Saturday, December 30, 2017

The New Year thing - is it real or a scam?

Opinion piece:
So it's just another Saturday. I'm sitting at my computer, writing stories for free, paying bills, trying to be one step ahead of the commercial sites...and thinking. I wrote, produced and uploaded my final 'paid' piece of work on Friday. I'll return to the paid world on January 2nd, as I fondly remember my mother who passed away that date in 2001. On Tuesday, I'll pause as I always do, just after 4 a.m. when I received 'the call' from Jones Memorial Hospital. After that call, I recall racing down Main Street toward the hospital (as if time mattered at that point). I rushed through the ER (I was 'somebody' back then and there were no concerns.) As I stormed down the 3rd floor hall, a nurse stopped and hugged me. We had taken a Marriage & Family class together at Alfred State. His words were personal and I'm grateful.
So back to this commercially developed, sales oriented New Year's scam. Yes there is history, but the end of each year is a big deal for many...a time to party, kiss, hug, whatev...
Can't really remember the last time I 'hit the party hard.' That said, if you plan to 'party hard' on this New Year's Eve I say, good for you! You will celebrate life. You will party, have fun...drink, eat and...yeah, be silly.
It's been a very long time since...I brought the New Year in with a 'bang'...1984.
I'll not make any proclamations. I have studied 2017 and reviewed potentials in 2018. There is very little in my life that I can control as a single guy. In 2018, I'm looking for a new place and I have distant  new opportunities that I dream of. In the moment, I work hard...I listen and I dream. Maybe that's the purpose of the New Year festivities...dream...dream of the next big moment...that's my plan. Happy New Year friends I know and those who I have not yet met yet.