Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2020

Wellsville: WJQZ radio rocks on, 29 years after the sale from the founders

Today holds bittersweet memories for me. It was at 6 p.m. on this day twenty-nine years ago, that WJQZ radio in Wellsville was sold. It was Allegany County's first commercial FM radio station...created, in part, by a kid that was voted the shyest senior of the Wellsville senior class of 1980. It seems like a lifetime ago. Some people purchase radio stations - I created one from a blank sheet of paper. I designed the format and with no formal training, designed the building. This is where the "I" ends. Within the first year of broadcasting, WJQZ's morning show was ranked by Arbitron as the #1 show in Western New York (outside of the Buffalo metro area). The radio station was a success, not because of me...because of the people that agreed to work there. The building was filled with talent, I just had to let them loose. The staff made me proud...I walked Main Street, head held high, because of the team that WAS WJQZ. Thank you to everyone who supported the early venture. As I become overcome with emotion, this is where I will stop. Again, thank you.