Pages

Monday, August 6, 2018

End of an era: Miles steps down in Wellsville - The Spectator

By Chris Potter, The Spectator
WELLSVILLE — Over a thousand wins across three sports, 14 Section V titles, countless memories across over four decades ... a career unlikely to be duplicated in the modern era came to a close Monday as Dennie Miles stepped down from his positions as head baseball coach and athletic director in the Wellsville Central School District.
“That’s always the sad part. You build a lifetime of memories with so many people. I always said I’d have plenty of time to look back and reflect when I retired. Well, I guess it’s time,” Miles told The Spectator. “I kind of feel like Joe Girardi. When he left coaching the Yankees, he said he felt like his shelf life had been used up. After 42 years in coaching and 46 in the district, my shelf life had been used up to a certain degree. It was time to turn it over to somebody else.”
Miles, 69, has led the Wellsville baseball program for 42 years, also serving as Wellsville’s athletic director for the last 35. Read more...