Pages

Monday, October 5, 2020

Senator Pat Toomey, R-PA, says he will not seek re-election

PENNLIVE

Confirming earlier reports, U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., announced Monday he isn’t seeking re-election.

Toomey, 58, is in the midst of his second term in the Senate and his term ends in 2022. At a news conference in Bethlehem, Toomey also said he does not plan on running for governor.

“I will not be running for re-election in 2022 and I will not be running for governor. I will serve out the remainder of my term,” Toomey said.

“After that, my plan is to go back to the private sector," Toomey said.

Earlier this year, there was speculation that Toomey would possibly be running for governor in two years. Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf is in his second term and state law bars governors from serving more than two terms. There was also speculation Toomey would run for a third term in the Senate.

Toomey said his decision was not political but personal. He thanked his wife, Kris, and his family for their support.

“It ends up being a lot of time away from home. And I look forward to more time back at home," Toomey said.