Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2019

As Wellsville and Allegany County change - words matter, including mine

Wellsville is changing, which causes Allegany County to change. Those changes include media operations. When the Wellsville Daily Reporter, now branded The Spectator, announced earlier this month that it was merely ending home delivery and shuttering the Main Street office...there was a tad more to the story. Jobs are being lost, right down to the neighborhood teen who earned some extra cash by delivering the newspaper. After March 29th, there will not only be the disappearance of home delivery of the century old newspaper and the Pennysaver (gasp), there will, I believe, be the loss of some amazing reporting.
Let's be clear...I'm a news blogger, not a traditional newspaper. To be MORE clear...I LOVE print and I respect it. Newspapers serve a purpose and you don't always have to agree with a story.
I have recently posted stories about this whole saga...some posts have been misinterpreted. I have heard the corporate stance...and the comments from those in the trenches. This site is not in 'competition' with any monetized and commercial site...Hell, they have a staff. Do I scoop every other media outlet in the region? Yep, from time to time. Do they drown me with continuous, pro reporting on everything from sports to parades to in-depth issues? Often.
I can't say that Gatehouse Media handled this whole thing as best as they could. For instance, according to the Wellsville Daily Reporter Facebook page, moving forward, here are the drop off locations for the newspaper-

If this site EVER suggested a weakness with area print professionals, I apologize. Hell, I repost some of their stories...I wouldn't if I thought they were inadequate!
Bottom line...this site will continue to do what it does and could even expand. I run this site to give people the news and thoughts...not to make traditional media worry. If they actually do, then maybe they should. Time marches on...and so will this site...stay tuned!