Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Steve Stout praises orthopaedic services at Jones Memorial Hospital


WELLSVILLE, NY– If you are considering a total knee or hip replacement, you don’t need to go to a large, out-of-town facility for high quality, comprehensive orthopedic care! Just ask Steve Stout – he came to Jones Memorial for surgery, recovery, and rehab and he wouldn’t have done it any other way.
It all started seven years ago for the Wellsville resident and retired business man. That’s when Steve had a heart attack and stroke, followed by bi-pass surgery at UR Medicine and the Cardiac Rehab program at Jones Memorial. “As part of the recovery, I started walking three to six miles a day on the sidewalks and streets in Wellsville and I guess I wore out my knee,” he said. The knee pain brought him to Dr. Paul Axtell and the orthopaedic clinic at Jones Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Axtell ordered an x-ray, which didn’t reveal any obvious cause of knee pain. So after a shot of cortisone for the pain, Steve picked up where he left off. A few weeks later, Dr. Axtell called to see how he was doing. When Steve told him the pain was still there, Dr. Axtell suggested an MRI to take a closer look at what might be going on. A walk on the beach during a trip to Florida convinced Steve and he had the MRI when he got back to Wellsville. After looking at the results, Dr. Axtell recommended a total knee replacement.
“I started talking to people about it and, of course, everyone has a different opinion about where to go and who should do the surgery,” Steve said. “But ultimately, it came down to this: Dr. Axtell treated me very well, his office staff is wonderful, having the surgery in Wellsville was convenient, and I knew how good the rehab staff was from my Cardiac Rehab.”
The plan after surgery was to rearrange the house to accommodate his recovery, including moving a bed into the living room. “After surgery, I heard about the Swing Bed Program and I liked the idea of staying in the hospital instead of going home.” The Swing Bed program is for inpatients who no longer need hospitalization, but are not physically ready to return home.  The actual room does not change when patients are transitioned to a swing bed, but the focus of their care does. Swing bed patients receive nursing support and physical therapy.
“I was getting out on Friday and on the weekends, nothing is available as an outpatient,” he said. “By transitioning to a swing bed, I could start rehab immediately and both I and my wife were more comfortable starting my recovery in the hospital setting.” When Steve went home a week later, he had a good start on his recovery and his rehab program. “My wife and I were both happy that I stayed an extra couple of days for swing bed care,” he said.
When it came to rehab, “I got what I wanted: An aggressive physical therapy program,” he said, noting that he has continued coming to Jones for the Cardiac Rehab program since his heart attack. He now mixes in some of the leg exercises that Physical Therapist Shanna Winters recommended for him after his knee replacement. “I’m glad I got it done, and I’m glad I got it done at Jones,” said Steve. “I could not have gotten better care – or a better result – anywhere else.”
For more information about the comprehensive orthopaedic services available at Jones Memorial, talk to your healthcare provider or call the Orthopaedic Clinic at (585) 596-2054.