Pages

Friday, August 31, 2018

Cuba Police Chief issues strong endorsement of Mackney

To Whom It May Concern:
I am the current Police Chief for the Town of Cuba Police Department, a position I have held for approximately seven years. Before that position I was employed as a police officer for the Town of Cuba Police Department for seven years.  I consider my position as a responsibility of servitude rather than that of leadership. In law enforcement we have an obligation to those in the public and we take an oath to uphold that obligation. The main focus of our profession is safety and enforcement, two vital aspects to keeping the public thriving in a healthy and positive manner. 
I have known Walter Mackney for my entire fourteen year career. I have seen him lead from a “boots on the ground” aspect as well as assisting me in a supervisory role at large scale operations. The knowledge I have gained from him is “second to none.” Walt is a true leader and outstanding mentor. He has shown the true value of interagency cooperation and the importance of information sharing. I have worked on a plethora of different cases with Walt while he was in his supervisory role as the Commander of the Southern Tier Regional Drug Task force. These cases included homicides, methamphetamine laboratories, large scale marijuana grow operations, heroin, crack-cocaine and prescription pill operations. I have witnessed him bring those working for him together as a unified team and watched those working under his command operate in unison with an end goal because of his leadership style. Walt demonstrates a democratic leadership style when allowed, and an autocratic leadership style, when necessary. No matter which style he uses; he always gets the goal accomplished.
In 2014, Walt began working for the Cuba Police Department in a role I felt was vital to our agency’s training. Training has become one of the most important agendas any law enforcement agency should have. Walt possesses numerous training certifications, and he uses all of the knowledge he has gained in his career to help better other members of the law enforcement community. I feel that Walt will continue to impart the knowledge that he has gained from his numerous trainings onto others, whom he comes in contact with on many law enforcement levels.
In closing, I would like to say that it is because of all of the reasons I have stated in this letter that I fully endorse Walter Mackney for Allegany County Sheriff. I feel that he has built a reputation of integrity, honesty and leadership throughout his decorated law enforcement career. In my opinion, he is at the top of a list, only a few ascend to when it comes to the law enforcement profession. I am looking forward to the possibility of working alongside him in future multi-agency operations! 
Sincerely,
Dustin T. Burch
Chief of Police
Cuba Police Department