Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

Wellsville Regional News takes a knee on 2018 comments

During the past several years, I have struggled, honestly struggled, with how to handle comments on this and my previous site. I've reached out to other "bloggers" and I have received an earful. When this site first originated, it was designed to be a news site, nothing more, nothing less. One guy, not a company, trying to meet everyone's news thirst. Some days I'm there, others...commercial media kicks my ass. This is a free site. I don't get paid to run it. Do I break the news? Yep, some days...and it thrills me. Am I humbled by commercial media with staff, a budget, etc...yup. I'm a corporate-type person...I'm keen on personal liability. The news stories I post are solid...I'm not a rookie, I fact-check, get multiple sources, etc.. However, my biggest risk is with the comments. I'm fine if this displeases you...since it is I (and not you who will pay for a lawyer).  Beginning January 1, 2018, I will not accept any further comments to posts. You can share your thoughts on social media sites like Facebook, etc. I will continue to accept opinion submissions, but with a little more restriction. As always, my site, my rules...not happy, find another site. That's not meant to be damning...but...it is, my site. If you are unhappy, don't view it...others will.
Yes, published  comments have scorned public officials, well-known people and the infamous anonymous posters. The comments have also hurt alleged crime victims. I've been called out so many times on comments...seriously...it's time to end it. I say again. I, not you, shoulder the liability burden. I'm gonna take the easy route out. Commercial media can take the high road - if I had that money, maybe I'd getter tougher.
So, for 2018, watch me chase the commercial media --- I'll win--not always, but often...view my free site...or spend a dollar or two for the newspaper - won't kill yah...and Happy New Year. Hmmm...if I recall, as 2017 arrived, I, the simple blogger, scooped everybody with a gun standoff situation in the village of Wellsville. Never dismiss the blogger...