Pages

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Blogger question - Am I a threat to traditional media?

A series of events occurred today, which led to a series of conversations...which further led to serious thoughts for me and a chat with a media attorney.
I have two roles; My paid role of producing news for radio stations in four states-Then there is my not-for-profit passionate role of operating this local news blog.
This morning, after a medical event, I was back working on a story about a new Wellsville eatery. Seems like the Wellsville Daily Reporter had the same vibe - kinda cool!They published before I did. I posted, with full credit to the source, the Reporter story. I have shared media stories, with credit or link credit,  with other outlets stories for years. WLEA radio shares my independent reporting. They are the only media that actually credits the source.
Today, after posting the Reporter's story, I was asked to remove it. Without hesitation, I did.
Since then, I have had numerous conversations. To the Daily Reporter, if my posting of your story offended you, I offer my sincere apologies. Trust me, it will never happen again. One local news outlet told me that they were thrilled when I posted their stories, because their online hits went 'sky high.'
I have a long history with the Reporter. But there is new management in town and I'll respect 'the force.'
I'm an independent blogger. I shouldn't represent a threat to traditional, paid mainstream print or broadcast media. If I do - then indeed, there is a serious problem.
To eliminate future issues...I'll do my own independent reporting, as I have done since 1981. With the exception of the trusted friend, WLEA respected radio, I won't share anything from any other for-profit media.
Sure, it means less sleep and more less free effort... but this is my home area...so, yeah---I'll give you free news.
I sincerely respect the staff of the Daily Reporter, Evening Tribune and others. Rest assured...this site will never speak your name again or mention your name. People interested in the 'real news' can pay for a subscription. Those who trust my work can read it free...and those who have issues can send me a note. I love the print media. I SUBSCRIBE! So you my (allied) colleagues...Merry Christmas!
I'm a blogger with 50,000 typical readers per week. Thanks you anonymous readers - spread the word - share a thought - and subscribe to a print paper!
My email: wjqzfounder@gmail.com
My Fax: 1-855-NYS-NEWS.