Pages

Saturday, November 18, 2017

The good and the bad of small town life

I was born and raised in the tiny town of Wellsville. A decade ago or more ago, I had new opportunities and moved to Dutchess County, in New York's Hudson Valley. Both life experiences were amazing, but vastly different. First off, Dutchess County has a population of 295,754. Allegany County has 47,462 people (The traffic is a tad different)! In Dutchess, you could get whatever you wanted, seven days a week. Name a food choice, it's there. Name some commerce or cultural event, it's there. Wanna see a ballgame or show, hop the train and bam, there you are. Wanna witness a gang shoot-out from your apartment window...that can happen to (and did). There's also a completely different attitude in the Hudson Valley. I'm not saying it is better or worse, just different.
Now, for Wellsville. Yes, the community has its charm, like every other small town in the area. There are, however, some frustrations.
It stuns me, absolutely stuns me that Wellsville cannot support a book store. Rural people read! A Barnes and Noble type experience is great (Kudos to the former Main St. Book store and no, I understand B & N won't build here). It stuns me that Wellsville cannot support a clothing store for men. God I miss Steven's, Cannon's and Silver's. It stuns me that Main Street can't have a good old fashioned bakery. To be fair, the grocery stores have stepped up...but it's not the same. If you're over 40, you get it. Now, before the snarky comments begin...I understand the need for ROI, the economy, the population, etc. ALL I am saying is, I miss the local commerce that once existed.
I had money in my pocket this morning and wanted to spend it downtown. I couldn't because what I wanted isn't available locally. One clerk said, "I can order it." She was polite, and I nicely replied, so can I. Relax, merchants, you'll still will get some of my money...I've already checked the inventory!
People who live in cities shouldn't crap on the rural population. And small town people, don't automatically bash larger areas. They both have something to offer. It's funny - people from rural areas love to vacation in metro-type, larger areas , but don't want to live there. Folks from the metro areas like limited time in rural areas, but enjoy returning 'home.' Meanwhile, I'll continue to accept experiences from big areas and small. I enjoy learning every day.