Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Opinion: Fake news does exist...and I've been the fool

For thirty-six years, I've enjoyed reporting the news on many platforms...from print, to radio, online, to the occasional TV report. Understand, to me, my reporting is real. It's based on actually going to meetings and hearing the words; reviewing the police blotter and obtaining the 'official report'; Hell, I was a fixture in county court for a time listening to testimony.
In the modern day, it's been tough for me to accept the fake news concept. After all, what I reported on was real, happening in real time and current. So, the concept of fake news has been foreign to me. This isn't an ego thing, I've just been a traditional reporter. You know, separate facts from fiction. Social media has certainly altered everything. Still, I don't believe most claims. Having said that, I must finally admit that 'pretend news' does exist. The thing is, I always thought most folks could figure that out. Until today.
This afternoon, on social media, there was a report circulating that the Little League World Series (LLWS), with roots in Williamsport, PA was about to shift. The posts said the LLWS was flipping off Williamsport for a new home in the glitzy California landscape. At that point, I stopped reading and felt a heaviness, a sadness. After 4 seconds of research, I discovered it was another in a series of fake web sites. No, the LLWS isn't moving anywhere. Williamsport is its home. I felt like a fool.
Here's the thing - the news media has been my primary career. That's not the case for most casual consumers. So when they read something, they consume it and believe it. Online postings can be done in seconds. Traditional media, newspapers, magazines, TV and yes radio are a little more reserved. We all want the 'scoop." Heck, aren't you happy when you have the 'skinny' on something and can share it before anyone else? It's a powerful feeling. Most media are honest. Reporters who want to share a factual story. Cable news...well they have to fill a 24/7 news cycle so whatever comes along, goes. We weren't poorly served when America relied on the 6:30 p.m. newscast presented by ABC, NBC and CBS. We weren't poorly served by daily and weekly newspapers where reporters  sat in the meeting and heard the words.
Today, the term media is overly broad.
I still believe in a responsible media, which, yes, from time to time makes an error. When I err, I'm the first to admit and correct. Sharing an accurate and correct story with you is more important to me than being first. Do I enjoy beating newspapers and others? Damn right. I work hard to do it. However, I'd rather be correct and last than fake and first.