Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

BREAKING: Scio Town Clerk announces resignation, cites conflict with town board

Scio Town Clerk Stacy Linnecke says she will resign, effective January 31st. As required, the Secretary of State was notified. Linnecke says an ongoing dispute with the town board and supervisor prompted her decision. In a lengthy email to www.wellsvilleregionalnews.com followed by an interview, she said "the town still plans on going through with the special election to reduce the clerk's salary and the supervisor's salary. They have set a date of February 15, 2017 but they have (allegedly) not followed proper procedure from the very beginning, and they have", she said, "lied to the public about their reason for doing it." Linnecke says she has "great sadness" over her decision, but accused the town of "illegal actions." In her email, she said, "over the last 8 months I have been belittled, harassed, and have been hindered in doing my job but have found that I can do nothing about it. I have been in contact with the NYS Comptrollers Office, Cathy Young's office, Department of State, Association of Towns, Town Clerks Association, County Clerk, private attorneys and pretty much was told that even though they were in the wrong or not following procedure or not following the law, that there was nothing I could do about it unless I wanted to hire an attorney and take it to a court of law." Linnecke continued, "I would like the public to know that I am very grateful for their confidence in my abilities to do the job for the benefit of them by electing me as their town clerk, however, I am extremely saddened that I have to announce my resignation. I hope that the taxpayers and residents of Scio will let their voices be heard by voting for what they feel is right in the upcoming special election, and becoming more involved in how their local government is being run and what their tax dollars are really paying for." Linnecke said that on January 24th, she met with the Deputy Town Clerk and turned over all keys and official documents. This will likely be an ongoing story...